Venezuela earthquakes: death toll rises to 6,438
The death toll from the twin earthquakes that struck Venezuela on June 24 has risen to 6,438, with 16,740 injured, according to National Assembly President Jorge Rodríguez. He said the toll increased by 137 from the last official count, and that the government has delivered 335 homes in La Guaira state.
The death toll from the twin earthquakes that struck Venezuela on June 24 has risen to 6,438, according to an announcement by Venezuelan National Assembly President Jorge Rodríguez in a post published Monday evening on the X platform. Rodríguez explained that the death toll increased by 137 compared to the last official count, which had reached 6,301 deaths. The number of injured reached 16,740. Rodríguez said the government has so far delivered 335 homes to those affected in La Guaira state, which recorded the largest human and material losses from the earthquakes. He noted that authorities assessed damage to 59,109 homes, finding 34,680 of them habitable, 13,733 suitable for temporary use, and 10,696 classified as 'high risk.' On June 24, the U.S. Geological Survey announced two earthquakes of magnitude 7.2 and 7.5 on the Richter scale, 39 seconds apart. The UN Development Programme estimated direct material damage at about $6.7 billion, while the World Bank estimated total losses at about $19.6 billion.