Senior FIFA official leaves post after criticism of Infantino

FIFA has ended its working relationship with chief operating officer Kevin Lamour, weeks after he publicly criticized President Gianni Infantino's plan to sell a stake in the commercial activities of its tournaments, including the World Cup. Lamour had described the plan as a 'one-man project' and said FIFA staff 'were misled'. The remarks came hours after Carlos Cordero, Infantino's senior adviser, resigned in protest. The project, which involved creating a $20 billion subsidiary and selling up to 20% to outside investors, was later dropped. Infantino's bid for a fourth term in March looks uncertain, with European, Asian, and CONCACAF confederations opposing.

FIFA has ended its working relationship with chief operating officer Kevin Lamour, weeks after he publicly criticized President Gianni Infantino's plan to sell a stake in the commercial activities of tournaments organized by the federation, including the World Cup. Lamour joined FIFA's senior leadership group in November 2024 and was previously part of the inner circle that led Infantino's 2016 election campaign. A FIFA spokesperson said the relationship ended on August 17, 2026. Lamour had described the plan as a 'one-man project' and said FIFA staff 'were misled'. The remarks came hours after Carlos Cordero, Infantino's senior adviser, resigned in protest. The project sparked widespread internal discord, as it involved creating a $20 billion subsidiary to manage the federation's tournaments, with up to 20% of its shares sold to outside investors, but FIFA later dropped the plan. Infantino's bid for a fourth term in March next year looks far from certain, with European, Asian, and CONCACAF confederations standing in opposition. Fair Square organization confirmed it sent a letter to FIFA's Governance, Audit, and Compliance Committee urging it to deem Infantino ineligible to run.

Senior FIFA official leaves post after criticism of Infantino