"Seize the historic opportunity": Talks with Syria frozen - and the Foreign Minister's call
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan al-Shibani told Reuters that contacts with Israel were halted following last week's attack on the Abu al-Duhur military airbase. He expects talks on a security agreement to resume soon, and called on Israel to seize the historic opportunity and choose diplomacy. Israel has not explicitly claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Prime Minister's Office clarified that Syria allowed Turkish forces to deploy at a base near Aleppo, despite Israeli warnings.
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan al-Shibani told Reuters today (Sunday) that contacts with Israel were halted following the attack on the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in Idlib province, which occurred on the night between Monday and Tuesday last week. He expects talks on a security agreement to resume soon, and called on Israel to seize the historic opportunity and choose diplomacy. Israel has not explicitly claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Prime Minister's Office issued a statement saying that Syria was about to violate the status quo by allowing Turkish forces to deploy at an airbase near Aleppo, despite repeated Israeli warnings. The office clarified that Israel will not tolerate threats to its security and would welcome a return to the status quo. Defense Minister Israel Katz attempted to present the considerations for the attack, noting that the IDF had recommended it several times, due to concerns that Turkish radar systems would endanger Israeli Air Force aircraft in the future, especially in combat against Iran. According to him, a direct warning was given to the Syrian regime at the highest levels before the attack. Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa expressed seriousness in April about reaching a security agreement with Israel, in an interview with the Turkish Anadolu Agency.
"Seize the historic opportunity": Talks with Syria frozen - and the Foreign Minister's call